Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Review of A Soldier's Promise by Cheryl Wyatt

The first time I met Cheryl Wyatt was through an email. She had put out a request for an accountability partner, someone who would encourage her to keep at her writing, meet her weekly word count goals, and complete a WIP within a reasonable length of time. I accepted her challenge.

We met face to face at the 2005 ACFW conference in Nashville for the first time. She was as sweet in person as her personality over the Internet implied. We met again at 2006 ACFW in Dallas, where Cheryl and I shared some private moments and she prayed with me, bringing me comfort over a personal issue that had been bothering me for a very long time.

With two published books and one more under contract, Cheryl is way beyond the point of needing a kick in the pants from me! Yet, despite her success, she has proven to be a loyal friend and source of support.

Cheryl is an inspiration to me. When I first began my Internet friendship with her, she was writing one day a week since she had little ones at home. Those one-day a week sittings at her computer proved very productive! I’m so proud of her.

I received A Soldier’s Promise as one of the books included in the LI book club I joined before I even knew Cheryl’s book was in print. I was so excited to see her name on the front cover. Let me tell you now my impressions of her book.

Pararescue jumper Joel Montgomery, despite reservations about returning to his home town, responds to a dying child's request. When he meets young Bradley's teacher, feelings are set in motion he had not anticipated.

Cheryl brings her characters to life by portraying the conflicting emotions in their daily lives that create stumbling blocks to their happiness. Past hurts, present struggles, and future dreams are all worked nicely into a tender and compelling love story.

One of the things I enjoyed most about the book was that the hero, Joel, has a unique and exciting profession. Despite the physical and emotional strength required to pursue such a career as pararescue work, Cheryl portrays his weaknesses, his fears, and his reconciliation with a past that has brought him a great deal of pain over the years.

The reader can’t help but fall in love with young Bradley, the sick little boy who has a battle of his own to fight. Despite the gravity of a child whose life is in danger, Cheryl injects enough humor to provide the reader a few laughs while traveling the roller coaster of Amber and Joel’s romance
.
Heroine Amber rounds out the story with her fierce compassion for her young, ailing student, her struggle to win Joel’s heart, and her unwavering faith in God, even when His answer to her prayers seems to be “no”.

Here’s wishing Cheryl lots more success with her future releases. Cheryl, thanks for being a friend!

Contest drawing: I will be giving away a free copy of Cheryl's book, A Soldier's Promise at the end of January. In order to enter, simply leave a comment for any of my January blog posts. Subscribe to my blog and your name will be entered twice, doubling your chances to win! Good luck.


Thanks for reading my blog.

0 Comments:

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs