Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Friday, February 8, 2008

Review of Writing the Christian Romance by Gail Gaymer Martin

I finished a good writing craft book today, Writing the Christian Romance by Gail Gaymer Martin.

Having read some of her novels, I was looking forward to reading Gail’s book and gleaning all the advice she had to give about writing romance. Gail covered most of the essential elements of a good story: characterization, dialogue, tension, POV, and plotting. She leads the reader through the process of developing the hero and heroine as multi-dimensional, believable characters and escalating their romantic interest throughout the story.

Gail does a thorough job of speaking to the specific elements of a Christian romance verses other genre fiction. She gives excellent information on how to handle delicate subjects without offending the Christian publisher or reader. She explains how to develop the spiritual thread of a story.

Her suggestions and tips are backed up by examples from a wide variety of authors. The exercises at the end of each chapter are thought-provoking and geared to teach the writer how to improve in specific areas.

Gail provided an example of a query/cover letter, short synopsis, a one-page synopsis, and a long synopsis. There may be others out there, but this is the first writing craft book I have read that gives a complete example of all four. This will be most helpful to those who struggle with this integral step in making a sale. She also gives sound advice on publication options, choosing a publisher, and searching for an agent.

Thanks for a great book, Gail!

Writing craft books are a wonderful source of motivation. They always leave me with a larger than life feeling that I can do this! I read the suggestions for technique, and my brain starts thinking about the scenes in my own WIP. Did I accomplish the point being discussed? If not, how can I improve my scene? Every book I read on writing somehow holds me to a higher standard. Does anyone else feel this way?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for reading my blog!

0 Comments:

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs