Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Genesis Awakening

Two years ago, I was a Genesis finalist. For those of you who may not know what Genesis is, it is the annual contest run by American Christian Fiction Writers. I still remember the night I received the call. Seems to me my husband answered the phone and gave me the message. I had entered a couple of other contests around that same time, so I called Diane back to be sure it was the Genesis contest that she was talking about. I couldn’t believe it!

Our conference was held in Dallas that year and the dinner they planned was fabulous. I’m sure everyone remembers that delectable slice of chocolate cake. It was the tiniest piece of chocolate cake I’d ever seen, but so rich that I could barely finish it all on top of all the other delicious food we were served. It was called "flourless cake". I still have a copy of the menu.

Anyway, there was so much excitement in the air and we finalists were seated at tables in the front of the room. As each finalist name was called, our picture was flashed on the screen. It wasn’t until the winners were announced in my category that I realized I’d been so nervous I never did see my picture displayed up there. I also remember they got the title of my entry wrong. Anyway, I didn’t win, but that was okay, because my room-mate did. Audra Harders. I had told her when we were dressing for the event that I knew she would win. She did.

I will always treasure my memories of Genesis 2006, from the day I started polishing my entry to the final moment when I gave Audra a big hug of congratulations.

Last year, I entered the same manuscript, made major improvements, and didn’t even final. I was disappointed, but I took to heart the comments that were made and like to think I learned from them.

This year, I didn’t enter. Today, I read the list of finalists for Genesis 2008. It struck me that of all the names, I only recognized one, and she is a cyberspace buddy. I don’t believe we have ever met face to face. What happened to all those people I knew that were finaling when I was competing? Oh yeah, they can’t enter the Genesis anymore for a very good reason. They’re already published!

I think of all the people I met those first couple of years after I joined ACFW who were not publsihed, at least in fiction, yet and are now. Kathy Kovach. Cheryl Wyatt. Carrie Turansky. Tiff Miller. Megan DiMaria. There are probably dozens more.

Guess that’s a wake up call to me. Sometimes I feel like I’m in the same place I was two years ago. Working on the same manuscript. Making the same mistakes. Dreaming the same dreams. I know that’s not true. I keep track of my word count, so I know I’ve written a whole lot of words in two years. I’ve read several writing craft books and rewritten scenes that were pretty bad, made them come to life. I just have to remind myself that the dream may be closer than I think. I have to keep reaching for it. One word at a time.

Take a look at my thought for this month. I’m not giving up. I have no idea how close I am, but I believe it is a lot less painful to be miles away and keep going than to be inches away and quit.

Congratulations to all the 2008 Genesis winners!

Thanks for reading my blog!

0 Comments:

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs