Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Friday, April 9, 2010

Review of The Promise of Morning by Ann Shorey


This thought-provoking tale is the second book in Ann Shorey’s AT HOME IN BELDON GROVE series. It takes place on the Illinois frontier in the 1840’s.

Ellie Craig has already suffered much loss with the deaths of her three infant children. Her grief along with fear of more loss distances her from her family. Raised by her aunt and uncle, Ellie has always carried the stigma of orphan. When a family secret is revealed to her, she begins a quest for the truth.

Meanwhile, husband Matthew questions his position as pastor of Beldon ‘s church when the son of the town’s founder, who also claims to be a minister, uses gossip to taint Matthew’s name. He journeys a long distance from home to see his Elder and ask to return to the position of circuit rider.

Miss Shorey delights her readers with vivid characters who face difficult choices and persevere against hearrtbreaking situations. It raises the question of how we struggle against man’s acceptance versus God’s will.

Thanks for reading my blog.

3 Comments:

Carla Gade said...

That looks like a very good and heartfelt story. I think I might just pick it up!

Ann Shorey said...

Hi Patti, Many thanks for reviewing The Promise of Morning on your blog. I appreciate your comments.
Blessings!

tracysbooknook.com said...

Although I love Ann Shorey, I found that "A Promise of Morning" to be emotionally difficult.

Being a Pastor’s wife myself, I find myself overly sensitive to the depiction of Pastors and their families. I did not enjoy the character of Pastor Matthew and did not like how he was such a “bull in a china shelf” and created judgements of others so quickly.

If you're interested, I have more to say on my site at www.tracysbooknook.com.

-Tracy

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs