Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What we need

The Lenten season has come and gone for another year. I posted a few weeks back that I was going to give up chocolate this year and explained the reasons why.

I learned an amazing thing during that period of self-denial. I don’t need chocolate. That realization leads me to wonder how many other “things” I indulge in every day that I can do without. God provides so much that we take for granted. He doesn’t always provide all that we want, but He definitely supplies all that we need.

Today, I feel God fulfilling one of my deepest needs, the need for His calming presence. My husband is in surgery as I write this for what the medical profession calls a "fem pop bypass" to his left leg. It took him some time to get to this point since he was supposed to have the surgery last year. 

An angiogram ordered by his cardiologist revealed that he needed open heart surgery first. He was supposed to have a quadruple bypass, but damage to his aorta allowed the bypass of only one artery. That was done the day before Thanksgiving. 

I don't know why my anxiety level was higher this morning prior to this current surgery than it was the day of the open heart surgery. Maybe it's because a lady in our church recently had leg surgery that went terribly wrong and resulted in an amputation. 

Whatever the reason, my husband and I said a prayer this morning and when the two of us together gave it all to God, it lifted a great burden from my heart.

The operating room nurse just called out to the waiting room to tell me everything is gong great. My husband has waited a long time for this surgery and I'm so blessed to know that God is with him every step of the way.

Thanks for reading my blog!

4 Comments:

V. B. Tenery said...

Patti:

I'm praying for your husband.t

Patti Shene, Executive Editor, Starsongs Magazine said...

thank you V! He is doing quite well and is expected to be discharged from the hospital tomorrow!

BK said...

Glad to know things went well. I hope recovery and rehab are progressing well!

Patti Shene said...

Thanks Brenda. He is doing quite well. Appreciate all the good wishes and the prayers!

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs