Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Interview with new author A. K. Arenz


Welcome, AK. I’m delighted to have this chance to interview you and give you an opportunity to discuss your upcoming release, The Case of the Bouncing Grandma. Tell us a little about your book.

Thank you, Patti. It’s an honor to be here.

The Case of the Bouncing Grandma is a cozy mystery with a hen-lit feel. The heroine, Glory Harper, is not your typical grandmother. While others may be baking cookies and smiling at their grandchildren's antics, Glory’s out with her seven-year-old grandson, joining in the fun. Their most recent adventure, skateboarding, resulted in Glory's broken leg and Seth's awestruck admiration. Affectionately called his "Bouncing Grandma," Glory hasn't been doing much bouncing these last six weeks with her leg in a cast and stuck in a wheelchair. But, things are about to change.

The first of the Bouncing Grandma Mysteries begins when Glory spies a foot dangling out of a rolled Oriental rug as it's carried into her new neighbor's house. Determined to discover what's going on, and undeterred by police officers who try to convince her it was simply part of a mannequin, Glory sets off on a new adventure with far higher stakes--those of life and death. With the aid of her sister, Jane, the occasional help of a police detective who is a dead ringer for Harrison Ford, a lot of prayer, and more twists and turns than even Glory could have dreamed of, fifty-two year old widow, Glory Harper finds romance when she least expects it...and a mystery to die for.

I believe that Baby Boomers and others will relate to Glory's escapades and the desire to be a fun grandparent, as well as her determination to stay young and active--in spite of a few mishaps along the way.


When did you first begin to feel that writing would become an important part of your life?

I was probably in the fourth or fifth grade. When I read Walter Farley’s The Black Stallion, I remember suddenly having this incredible feeling that this was what I wanted to do. Like most kids, making up stories is how we play; only now, I wanted the ability to write them down and share with others.

I was twelve before this finally happened, and the story I wrote – The Adventures of Christopher and Christina – got passed around the study hall that the seventh graders shared with the high school. People would bring the pages back to me and actually ask for more! That amazes me to this day.

I know through our cyberspace friendship over the past year that you have suffered a great deal of physical pain that has left you discouraged and frustrated. Would you discuss those handicaps?

In the last few years, I have developed problems with my hands. When it was just pain from cramping and such, it wasn’t fun but still workable. Then, unfortunately, it moved on to my fingers and later into my fingertips in a far worse way. The nerves in my fingers and fingertips will become hypersensitive to the point that even touching myself is beyond painful. When this happens, and nothing is capable of relieving the horrendous pain, you get to the point where thoughts of having those offending limbs chopped off almost sounds appealing.

In trying to get relief, I’ve gone to The Healing Rooms for prayer, and were it not for those wonderful people, I hate to think where I’d be today. While not cured, God has shown me little tricks to help when the pain seems about to return---a lot of prayer, wearing white cotton gloves when working at the computer and writing, as well as using pencils to type---all assist me in pushing forward. Cutting out salts has also been a godsend.

What gave you the perseverance to continue with your writing in the face of that kind of adversity?

This year it became a struggle to do the independent database job I do for the company where my husband works. The pain was zapping my strength and energy to the point that I began to think God was sending me a sign that I should stop writing.

But, anyone who writes can tell you that quitting isn’t all that easy – and even through the pain, I prayed for a definitive answer, a sign that would tell me what to do once and for all.

My weekly sessions with The Healing Rooms started to break through the 7 months of horrible pain around the same time Joan Shoup (J.M. Hochstetler), of the new small press Sheaf House, contacted me. I’ve known Joan through ACFW for a couple of years now, and though as a group, we’d discussed our writing woes, I hadn’t thought about submitting to her. Turns out the thought was God’s. Joan asked me to submit.

Who have been your strongest influences during your writing journey?

I’d have to say my daughters, Kelly and Randi, who have always believed in me. Even when they were kids, they were always there to read through and comment on my work. To this day, Kelly is my number one critiquer – on top of the fact that she is an awesome editor, which is something I think she should be doing as a living.

Any parting advice for fledgling writers?

I could give you the standard answer to “never give up,” but I believe there is more you can do.

In your deepest, darkest hours, when you’re down and feeling kicked by all around you, reach out your hand to the One who gives hope when it seems there is none, who gives love when all seems lost, who gives peace when the war is raging within and without. He never gave/gives up on us. He proved His love and mercy by sending us His Son. And through His Grace, all things are possible.

Thanks again, Patti, for letting me visit with you. Remember to visit me at www.akawriter.com for updates. The site is a work in progress, so it’s constantly changing.

Take care and God Bless. AKA ;)

Thank you, A.K. It has been a delight to have you here today. I can’t wait to read about that bouncing grandma!

Thanks for reading my blog!

0 Comments:

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs