Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Memories of New York



I took a trip to New York with my daughter and granddaughter last week. We spent a few days at my sister's house, where we also got to visit with my mom and my niece from Tennessee. We had intended to take the gondola up Whiteface Mountain, but it wasn't open yet. So, we went to Lake Placid and toured the ski jump. Got to the top and found out the chairlift had malfunctioned, so we had no way down! An employee took us down in his van. We also got to see a skier in action. Yes, they have some kind of special surface so skiers can practice in the summer.

The next day, our son and daughter-in-law came up from NYC and joined all of us for a boat tracross Lake George on the paddle wheeler Minnie HaHa. It was a gorgeous day for the trip and we enjoyed browsing the souvenir shops prior to the cruise.






Our son and daughter-in-law drove us the city Sunday night, and we had a wonderful tour over the next three days of all the sights. We saw......



Times Square







Union Square





the financial district (where our son works!)



walked the Brooklyn Bridge


Observed the city from the Empire State Building at night

Toured Central Park



Took the Staten Island ferry



Observed a moment of silence at Ground Zero




And saw lots of other sights.

We took the subway to Chinatown and Yankee Stadium. We walked for what seemed like miles, but we could not have seen as much as we did if we did not have our personal tour guides!

Our last day, we took the subway to Coney Island. My daughter has been wanting to see the Atlantic Ocean for years. Unfortunately, it was raining that day and there was no one on the beach. It looked bleak and desolate. Still, she rolled up her pant legs and ran into the water, thrilled actually see the ocean.

The subway was fun, especially for my granddaughter. She took a great deal of pride in the fact that she kept track of her own Metro card. In fact, I finally turned mine over to her for safekeeping as well.We resorted to a taxi a couple of times, and Madi thought that was pretty neat as well.

Even though I grew up in New York, I never spent much time in the city. I went there with some preconceived notions that were proved false. People in the city are not rude, indifferent, and unfriendly. They are generally considerate, polite, and always willing to help with directions. They live at a much faster pace than I do here in Colorado, for sure. I enjoyed watching the hustle and bustle, the different dress, the diverse people who travel the subways and walk the streets.

This was a trip we will all remember for a long time. I even have to admit that someday, I would not mind going back!

Thanks for reading my blog.

1 Comment:

Peggy Blann Phifer said...

What a fun trip! The last time I was in NYC was in 1964 and it was just a drive-thru to say we'd been there. When my family lived in Stamford CT my dad worked in NYC so we made many trips back and forth until we moved away when I was ten.(Notice I didn't mention a year he he). So all these pictures are a bit of nostalgia for me.

Love ya!
Peg

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs