Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Are you ready?

I went to my local Dairy Queen a couple of evenings ago to enjoy time with friends and eat a shrimp basket dinner. I'd worked hard all day and felt I deserved something that was easy (no food prep), and tasted good (love shrimp!).


Anyway, while there, the subject of the recent end of the world prediction came up in conversation. It led me to repeat the question in my head that has plagued me since the prediction came to light.

Am I ready for the end of the world?

First of all, let me clarify that I hold no belief in these predictions that totally contradict the word of God. The Bible tells us that even Jesus does not know when God plans for the Son to return. I have no doubt the end of the world will occur someday, maybe even in my lifetime, but I am quite the skeptic about any human being who claims to know the date and time.

Anyway, back to my original question. Suppose the end of the world did happen next week, next month, or next year. Would I be ready?

Yes and no.

Yes because I feel I am right with God and saved by the sacrifice Jesus made for me.

Yes because suffering, pain, and poverty would end for so many.

Yes because evil is devouring the entire earth and the darkness is becoming more and more dense.

No because I have so much yet to do.

No because I don't feel I have fulfilled many of the plans God has for me.

No because there are so many who would perish because they have been consumed by the darkness and they can't find their way out.

The theme of this web site is "bringing light to the world....one word at a time." I feel I am just beginning to take steps toward accomplishing that goal.

Now that I work with a publishing company whose entire staff are dedicated to spreading the word of God, sometimes in unusual ways, I feel I am on the way to fulfilling that mission.

Recently, I attended the Colorado Christian Writer's Conference. I have been attending almost every year since 2003, but this is the first year I had the honor to attend as a faculty member. It was rewarding to meet young people who are dedicated to learning the craft of writing. Not only are they learning, they are writing poems, stories, even full-length novels! They are enthusiastic, excited, and open to constructive criticism.

There was a time when I wanted more time to finish my own book and get my message out
there through the novel I am writing. I have not given up that dream, Still, though, I wonder how many people will be impacted by the writing of the young authors who I publish in Starsongs magazine. One of them may grow up to be the next Max Lucado or Francine Rivers. Many of them may see devotionals or articles published in the near future that will touch the lives of one key person who may turn the tide of history.

So, I guess when all is said and done, I'm asking the Lord to give me, and so many others, a little more time to reach others for His kingdom. Predictions may dominate the media, but I think God is listening to those of us who need just a little more time.

Thanks for reading my blog!

1 Comment:

Paulette Harris said...

Good words Patti. Miss you. Am praying for your dreams to come to fruition.

Hugs in Christ,
Paulette L. Harris :)

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs