Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

So Why Am I Giving Something Up?

Today begins the season of Lent, a time when many people think of "giving something up." What does that mean exactly and why do we do it? I never gave anything up as a kid because I wasn't raised in the Catholic church. As an adult, I attended the Catholic church for many years. Now, I no longer do, but that's not what this blog post is about today.

To me, Lent has always meant a time to scrutinize the part God plays in my life. Am I putting something before Him? Have I let so many other things take priority that He has been pushed to the back burner of my life? Do I dedicate only what is "left over" of my time and energy to living for Him?

These are all questions that have weighed heavy on my mind for some time now. Lent is a time to turn our hearts toward God, to remember the abundance he has given us and to put aside our selfishness. When we remove something from our lives that is not necessary to worship God and not always good for us either, it is a way of drawing closer to Him.

In the past, I have tried to observe the season of Lent by committing to a  positive habit, whether it be Bible reading or prayer or a random act of kindness on a daily basis. Somehow, those efforts have not been that sacrificial to me. This year, due to certain spiritual issues I've been dealing with, I feel a strong call to sacrifice by giving something up that I enjoy immensely.

This year, I'm giving up chocolate. OK, I'll be honest. I had not thought of giving anything up until someone else mentioned that she was giving up chocolate. Personally, I don't think that person has near the addiction to chocolate that I do. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it would be a true sacrifice for me. Maybe the seed this person planted in my heart was God's way of nudging me and saying, "will you do this for me?"

I hope to gain a deeper knowledge of and draw closer to my God during these forty days. When I crave chocolate, I'll take some time out to pray and listen for His voice.

Thanks for reading my blog!

0 Comments:

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs