Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Error in Your Favor

S


* See comment below

Remember the Community Chest card from Monopoly that says "Bank error in your favor - collect $200"? Would that such a thing could happen to us in real life, huh? The only time I've ever seen a "bank error" is when it turned out to be my own error in bookkeeping. Once, though, I had failed to log a deposit I had made, so the bank statement actually did say I had more money than I thought I did, and they were right!

I am subscribed to a service that I receive on a monthly basis and the charges are always the same. This month, my bill reflected that I owed only a fraction of my monthly charge, less than $5. I knew it was an error, so when I went to pay the bill, I jokingly said, "I only owe you X this month, huh?"

The receptionist looked up my account on the computer and said, "yep, that's right."

"But what about my monthly charge of X?" I asked, a bit surprised.

"Well, let me see here." She proceeded to scroll through the past records of my balances. "Yes, right here, three months ago, you show a credit of X dollars."

"Are you sure that's correct?" I insisted.

She informed me that it was, so I paid the amount my statement said I owed and left.

I am one of these OCD driven people who writes down every penny I spend. I came home and checked my records and nowhere can I find an entry where I paid any extra money to this company.

I am left feeling a bit guilty, especially since I had the check with the full amount due in my purse. Now it is tucked away safely and will be used to pay my bill next month. I do believe I did everything I could to convince the receptionist that something was wrong somewhere.

So, do I chalk this experience up to one of those "bank error in your favor" moments? I certainly didn't want to start an argument and try to convince the employee she doesn't know how to do her job. That would have demonstrated poor behavior on my part and embarrassment for her.

Remember the Bible story told in the gospels of the man who was given five talents and went out and earned five more as opposed to the man who received one talent and buried it for fear of losing it? This billing mistake is definitely a windfall for me during a month where I have found myself a bit short of funds. So, let's hope I have the wisdom to use this unexpected addition to my checking accout to my advantage.

Any of my readers had a similar experience? Let me know your thoughts.

* These illustrations were used by Parker Brothers before they settled on the Rich Uncle theme. Cards shown here are from the collection of Dana Fred Ryman, texasgrape@aol.com.

Thanks for reading my blog.

1 Comment:

Carmen said...

I've had times where my bank card purchases weren't subtracted from my bank account, yet I had the receipt for the payment. I went and asked if they could re-ring it so I could pay it. They said no-it was a computer glitch on their end. Made me feel bad about not paying what I owed.

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs