Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Happy Fourth of July

Tomorrow is a special day in the history of America. It is the day that represents the independence of our country from British rule. A question was posed as part of a contest on a web site a few days ago, asking which political side we would have been on, had we lived during the period of the Revolutionary War. Would our loyalty have been to the king or to those who felt we deserved freedom from British law?

I struggled with that question because I am not a particularly political person. I don't follow all of the issues the way I probably should and don't follow the voting records of our political leaders. I know my political views are considered conservative. Yet, to become involved in a political discussion serves to frustrate me and doesn't hold my interest for long. I doubt I would ever change anyone's mind with what I have to say anyway.

The Fourth of July reminds me of all our forefathers and their families endured to bring about our independence. The choices they made, the values they stood for, the courage they demonstrated, affects the lives of all of us who live in this country today.

The Continental Congress adopted the final draft of the Declaration of Independence on July 4.
The second president of our country, John Adams, wrote the following to his wife: "I believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival... it ought to be celebrated by pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other..."

Over 230 years later, we continue to celebrate this holiday in the manner predicted by John Adams. Today parades, picnics, fireworks and fun mark the day. As we celebrate throughout the week-end, whether with hamburgers and hot dogs or fried chicken and ribs, volleyball games or baseball games, sparklers or fireworks, let's remember why we celebrate.

Take a moment to remember our past and pray for the future of this great nation.

Happy Fourth of July!

0 Comments:

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs