Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Right Direction

I was returning home on a two-lane road yesterday, observing the speed limit, when a car came up fast behind me. I watched him in the rear view mirror as he approached. So intent was I on him that I failed to see the oncoming car hurtling toward me in my line. Yeah, one of those drivers who think they can pass but don't allow enough room. I swerved out of his path just as he swung back into his correct lane.

How often do we rush through life, not paying attention to what's in front of us because we're too busy checking out what's behind us? I have done it many times, spent needless hours worrying about something I did a long time ago and wondering what the long range effects were to the people involved. Would I not be much more productive if I spent that time contemplating a strategy to embrace the future?

The driver who rushed to get ahead of me didn't get him any closer to his destination. He caught up to me on a double yellow line, and when we reached a dotted line, there were so many oncoming cars that he couldn't pass anyway.

The driver who took a chance and passed another driver put himself and others in danger. I, in the meantime, should have focused on the road ahead instead of someone else's actions behind me.

That's why windshields are located in front of the driver while rear view mirrors are in a place where a casual glance gives all the information we need. In the future, I'll remember to focus on what's ahead, enjoy the smooth road and watch for obstacles in my way!

Thanks for reading my blog!

1 Comment:

BK said...

Oh! That's so easy to forget in our walk with God--clinging to things He's long since forgiven and forgotten.

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs