Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Thursday, January 29, 2009

LAST WORDS

He came to work for us a few months ago, just one of many of the counselors who come and go at the residential child care facility where I work. He was a quiet man, a man who always had a smile and a cheerful "hello" whenever he was coming on or going off shift. Sometimes we greeted each other in passing when we worked different shifts, sometimes we worked the same shift.

I'll call him "David", even though that wasn't his real name.

Our facility experienced a severe cutback recently, and "David's" hours were reduced to a 24-hour week. He was transferred to one of the other units, but since I do the filing at night, I saw him at least once a week. Worry lines had formed above his beard, the same kind of worry that plagues many Americans during this trying time where there is not enough work and not enough money to meet all the bills. Still, he always greeted me with that warm smile and gentle voice.

I knew very little about his personal life. I've learned a lot more over the past few days.

I wonder what my last words were when I spoke to him a week ago Monday night (early Tuesday morning) when I was on his unit filing in the charts. Did I thank him for unlocking the chart cabinet? Did I jokingly tell him to "get to work" as I walked out the door? Did I bid him a good night? Did I say, "see ya next week"? Would I have said something different if I had known the words I spoke were the last ones he would hear from me?

I'm still shocked at the news that greeted me when I went back to work this past Sunday night. The police had called sometime earlier in the evening to notify our facility that "David" was found dead in his home. He was 51 years old.

"David" and I talked about work, the weather, the elections back in November, favorite TV shows, and any number of other subjects. I had the impression from the opinions he voiced that he was a man of faith, but I never asked. I wonder if he knew Jesus and if he is resting peacefully in the arms of the Lord now.

Strange how easy it is to talk to people we don't know that well about almost every subject except the one that is most important. How often do we ask those we know if they believe in God? If they know Jesus? If they know where they are going when they die?

I wish I had known some of the problems "David" was facing, living in a home with no heat, his fears about his mom who was recently diagnosed with a major illness, his concerns about his kids. I don't know that I could have done anything to help, but I could have prayed.

Tomorrow I will go to "David's" memorial service and mourn with those who knew him much better than I. Even though he is one of many people who have crossed my path over the years, I will miss him.

I hope to see him again when the Lord calls me home.

Thanks for reading my blog.

0 Comments:

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs