Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Benefits of Blogging

I started this blog about sixteen months ago. As I skimmed through the posts I've done during the time, it gave me pause to question what the benefit has been to others and to myself. Anyone who follows my posts can tell that I'm not a frequent blogger, nor, unfortunately, am I consistent. I don't have as many post in over a year as some other bloggers post in two months.

I hardly ever see a comment in response to the blog post itself, but that's okay. I read several other blogs and seldom comment, so that is not a measure of how often my words are read. Also, several people have contacted me via private email to let me know that they read what I wrote that week. I think I have problems blogging because I fear putting my real feelings "out there". Suppose I have an issue at work, for instance, and I really want to blog about it. What if the person I'm writing about reads my blog and feelings get hurt? Same with family members. I've seen blogs where others have done it, and I've often wondered if there were consequences to such posts.

One of the points I wish to make tonight is that I glean different things from different blogs. Some of the ones I read deal with various aspects of writing, some introduce new books, some have a new post every day. The ones I enjoy most, though, are the blogs where people write about the people and situations that are closest to their hearts.

I have one blogger friend who has been keeping her readers informed of her struggle to begin writing again after a long spell of nonwriting. She has been an inspiration to me. I spent several hours the other night rereading and tweaking some of my own work after reading some encouraging words on her blog. She recently talked about the Nifty 350 technique, which urges a writer to put down 350 words per day. Well, I've been writing this post for about fifteen minutes and I'm approaching 600 words. If I apply ten or fifteen minutes a day to my WIPs, this plan just might work! Thanks BK!

Part of the frustration for me is that there are so many blogs out there I'd like to keep up with, but if I read them all, I'd never write a word on my own for lack of time. So, I've had to be selective, and I know I'm missing out on some great words that someone else has written! I suppose it's the same with books, though. My list of "books to read" is almost as long, if not longer, than my list of "books read". Everytime I select another book to read, I wonder if I've chosen "a good one".

When I send out email, I always include the link to my web site and the title of my latest blog post. It's when I start answering email and realize I've had that same blog post title for way too long that I am prompted to update with another post.

I'd like to hear back from readers as to what blogs you like and why. Drop me a line and share your thoughts!

I'm still looking for stories to use on my K.I.D.S.S. page. Any stories about kids and what they are doing in their community or the life of another person are welcome!

Thanks for reading my blog!

1 Comment:

B.K. Jackson said...

I too have pondered the value of my blog site to myself and others and have on a few occasions thought of giving it up. But occasional notes from friends and fellow writers keep me going. Plus I've also had two interesting contacts since I began blogging - one being a representative of Wells Fargo when I posted a brief tidbit about Wells Fargo and their history in AZ. The other being the 3 gracious souls who responded with helpful info when I declared my desire to contact a specific screenwriter and thank them for a script they'd written close to 20 years ago.

You just never know who reads a blog, even though there are a bazillion of them! And that fascinates me and encourages me greatly.

As to blogs I read - I'm afraid I'm not much help. This one is the only one I check regularly. Every once in a while I check Bustles & Spurs. There are a few other writing related ones I used to read.

But in the end, I had to decide what I wanted more - to read blogs or write, and I chose writing, so I gave up almost all my blog reading.

It's hard because there are so many wonderful blogs out there but there's only one of me. 8-)

Now what I do is watch the emails of writer friends and acquaintances - I scan their signature line and if they mention a blog topic I'd like to read, I go check it out. That's about the only time I browse.

I'm also not very techy and don't know how to subscribe to people's blogs. I might read a few more if I could overcome the techy barrier.

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs