Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Monday, October 20, 2008

My Adirondack Vacation Part Two


Friday, my sister and I went to Tupper Lake to spend the day at The Wild Center. Click on the link to watch the three short videos that give you a glimpse of all that we saw. The inside exhibits were great and the selection provided a look at many aspects of the Adirondacks, from the time the region was encased in glaciers to the present. Having grown up on LOng Island and around water, i've always been fascinated with fish. They had plenty of aquariums with many colorful fish there.



There was a light rain that day, but it didn't deter us from hitting the trail. It is one of my favorite activities in the Adirnodacks. We found a "playground", and of course, being a kid at heart, I had to "play". Man, this was so easy back in the day when I was a kid, but as the years go by, so does my sense of balance. I was doing pretty good while Terry took pictures, but all of a sudden, I was fallng off the log and found my nose in the dirt! Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted.


I feel such a strong attachment to this Adirondack country every time I'm there. Even though I grew up on Long Island, my dad was born and raised in the Adirondack country, and we spent most of our vacations there. We were very fortunate in that my uncle served as caretaker for one of the large camps on St. Regis Lake when we were young. . We enjoyed swimming, boating, water skiing in the summer, skiing, ice skating, and snowmobiling in winter.

Even though I've lived here in Colorado for over thirty years and love the magnificent Rockies, theAdirondacks hold their own special spendor. It's strange to think that Mt Marcy, the Adirondacks highest peak at an elevation of 5344 feet, is less than 1500 feet higher than the town where I live on the Colorado plains. Yet, each mountain range holds its own unique beauty. The Rockies awe the observer with a rugged terrain that towers well above timber line, while the Adirondacks with their gently rolling greenery offer a more serene display of nature's majesty.


The Rockies can't compete with the Adirondacks when it comes to fall color. We have our aspen with their yellows and golds, but one seldom sees the bright reds and oranges that adorn the Adirondack north country.








It was great to be back there again, but the connection with family was what I treasured the most. My sister, being my only sibling, is also my best friend. We don't get to see each other often enough. Distance, our jobs, and the responsibilities in our lives allow us to get together only about once every two years, sometimes not even that often. I'm grateful that my mom is still in good health and can enjoy spending time with us as well.

It was an added bonus to have my son and daughter-in-law there as well, and to see my son participate in the marathon. (Refer to my previous post - My Adirondack Vacation Part One). Makes me even entertain thoughts of walking the half marathon myself sometime in the future.
Vacations are great, but I have to admit, it's always nice to get back home to my own bed, my own shower, my own refrigerator, my own worn out couch. There is something comforting about returning to the familiar routine of daily life, even going to work!
Thanks for reading my blog.


0 Comments:

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs