Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

PRAYING FOR AMERICA


I’m usually not a politically minded person. In the past, I always had a pretty good idea who I was going to vote for in the presidential election. A registered independent, I have voted both the Republican and Democratic ticket over the years.

I live in a “swing” state, so never has my vote been more crucial than this year. Both candidates have visited our state on more than one occasion. Unfortunately, I did not make it to any of those events, but I am following more closely than ever the newspapers, the debates, and the tide of public opinion.

I’m not going to make any particular political statement here, but I will say that I am leaning toward one side more than the other. That is due to the time I have spent in prayer about the issue, for the choice I have to make weighs heavy on my heart.

Many around me disagree with my choice, including some immediate family members. My most fervent prayer is for discernment to make the choice God would have me make in the best interest of our country.

Our pastor introduced us to something very exciting on Sunday called Praying for America. Those of us who chose to sign a commitment card were given a “map” to follow, which gives simple instructions on who and what to pray for over the next thirty days. Over that period of time, we will have prayed for all 50 states, our political leaders, individual citizens, and many more things.

I encourage anyone who may be interested in this to check out www.Praying4America.com, where the pamphlets and other materials can be obtained. I’m sure it’s not too late to order, and even though you may get started with the program a few days late (the start date was Oct 6), it would be well worth it. Even two or three weeks of daily prayer for our country with heartfelt and specific intercession can do wonders. We all know that because we know what a wondrous God we serve, and if thousands are praying for the good of our country, we know He will listen.

I urge everyone who reads this to spend time in earnest and centered prayer before going to the polls. We have less than a month to make a decision that will impact our country, one way or another, for many years to come.
God bless America!

Thanks for reading my blog.

1 Comment:

Amy Deardon said...

Patti, thanks for a good reminder. Our country is dealing with dangerous situations, most recently the financial meltdown. We need good and wise leaders at the helm, always. We all need to prayerfully consider, then vote for the best candidate.

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs