Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Thursday, October 30, 2008

vote America!


Welcome back to Patti's porch. It was a warm day here in SE Colorado, and I've been taking a walk for the past three or four days. There's been snow in the mountains, and I heard even a few flurries sifted out of the sky here the other day. I wonder what this winter holds in store.

My thoughts turn more seriously to the "storm" that is sweeping our country. Although hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, and all manner of other destructive forces have ravaged our land over the past few years, the decision the American people will make within the next week may have much more far-reaching implications.

Perhaps it won't. I don't know enough about politics to understand how much one party's dominance in the White House will affect the daily life of the average person. I only know that I have been more involved in researching the candidates and the issues than ever before.

This year, my husband and I opted for mail-in ballots. Since Colorado has one of the longest ballots in the country this election, it took me a couple of hours out of the past two days to cast my votes. At least I was able to take the time to read the "blue" State Ballot Information Booklet and study the pros and cons of each ammendment before making my choices. Had I been standing in a ballot booth, I probably would have made some ill-informed and hasty choices. I do have the satisfaction of knowing I weighed the facts and based my decisions on what I thought was best for our state.

I have prayed harder during this election than any other year I have ever voted. I'm still participating in the praying for America initiative and that's exciting. As I pray for oeach individual state and the various needs of our country mentioned on the prayer map, I realize that I am not alone in this endeavor. Thousands of other Americans are praying with me, and that incites a great deal of hope and optimism for our great nation.

Some other things have been different for me this election year. Normally, I would ignore the political calls, but this time I have responded to every survey and poll, of which there have been several. I realize they don't determine a true picture of what the final outcome will be, since no poll can predict voter turn-out. Still, I find it exciting to have input into the whole process.

I have only heard one person make the statement that they don't care about the election, don't intend to vote, and really don't want to hear anything about it. Just about everyone has an opinion about this presidential race, and most of them are very strong.

Reminds me of an impending storm. I always feel a touch of excitement when there are severe thunderstorm warnings in our area. The lightning gets so intense sometimes that it looks like it's striking not a foot away from the front door. The wind picks up, the trees sway, rain pelts the windows, and you wonder what else lurks out there. A tornado maybe? We'd never see it coming.

That's the kind of feeling I have about the election. There is an electric charge, packed with power, and on its heels hovers the fear of what if? What if the American people choose the wrong man? What if our next president isn't competent to handle the financial crisis, the Iraq War, the War on Terror, or our growing crime rate, and any number of a hundred other problems that threaten our country?

I've been hearing over the past couple of days that Senator McCain is gaining, if ever so slightly, on Senator Obama's lead. The "swing" states continue to hang in the balance as both candidates put all their last ditch efforts into winning those states. The number of undecided voters is unknown, and, as the newscasters say, an awful lot can happen in five days.

Both of our presidential candidates have publicly proclaimed their Christian beliefs. They express different approaches to accomplishing the common goals of repairing the nation's weaknesses, meeting the needs of each individual citizen, and maintaining the delicate relationship between allied and hostile nations around the globe.

John 12:13 tells us that Jesus sought the counsel of His Heavenly Father in the face of an important decision. ".....Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God. When morning came, He called His disciples to Him and chose twelve of them, whom He also designated apostles." The decision to choose those who would carry on His work must have weighed heavy on Jesus heart. He knew what was at stake and He held Himself accountable for the choice He would make.

We, too, must hold ourselves accountable as we cast our votes for the future leaders of our nation. It is not a responsibility to be taken lightly. Make the time, before casting your vote, to do as Jesus did and seek the wisdom and discernment that only the Lord can give.

God bless America!

Thanks for reading my blog!

0 Comments:

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs