Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Interview With Author Brenda Fickey - Part One


Brenda, welcome to Patti’s Porch. It’s a privilege to have you here. I understand you have two books published and a third in progress. Tell us about your stories.

I’m very happy to share my stories and publishing experiences with you.

Yes, I am writing a set of stories (novels) for my Arkansas Oil Days Series. The stories are based loosely on my family who was part of that historical period in South Arkansas. (As a matter of fact, my parents still live in the exact area where my books are set. It’s great!) During the 1920s, the largest oil field (until oil was discovered in Alaska, that is) was drilled from in and around the small town of Smackover, Arkansas. It was the talk of the nation, with billions of barrels of oil pumped out of the ground by the time the boom was over toward the end of the decade. Before oil was struck, Smackover was a town of less than a thousand people. Within the first week of the boom, this small town grew to more than 25,000, as people from all over the nation made their way to the region, how ever they could, to go to work, making more money than they had ever seen before. (Remarkably, oil is still being pumped on numerous sites drilled during the time period my stories take place.) To my advantage, there is nothing in the literature available (for adults or children) that is set during this time period in this area.

Since I am very familiar with both the boom and the area, because of a family connection, I chose to use this setting to tell my stories. My grandmother and her first husband were part of the boom. When we visited her, I sat and listened to her stories in awe; and I have never forgotten them. My books start with a memory of her experiences. Then I create a story that is set around what I remember, forming an exciting plot that keeps readers on the edge of their seats and anxious to turn the pages. Currently, there are two books published and a third just completed and under consideration for publication in the Arkansas Oil Days Series. Each is a stand-alone story with the main characters, who are twelve-year-olds, connecting the stories in the series.

The first novel is WHISPERING DARKNESS. The story introduces the characters and sets the stage and pace for the other novels in the series, possibly as many as twelve to fifteen in all. Hank, Daniel, and Beth Ann are best friends who make South Arkansas in1925 an exciting backdrop for my mysteries. This first mystery takes place in June and has to do with a skeleton that Hank finds in the woods not far from his family’s farm. (My grandmother’s first husband’s body was found like I describe it in the book, but I had to get creative with my story because his murder is still an unsolved case.) The kids combine their various skills in order to solve the puzzle of who the skeleton was and how he ended up where he was found. As they work with the clues, suspicions point to the skeleton possibly being Hank’s missing father.

The theme of this first book has to do with taking responsibility for actions and learning what being mature and grown up means. Hank uses the skeleton to prove to his mother that he is able to be the man of the house while his father is away. Hank is the only one in the family who believes his missing father is still alive. The US Army officially declared him missing-in-action following the worst battle near the end of World War I. It’s been seven years since that declaration was made. Now Hank’s mother wants to declare him legally dead so she can move on with her life for the sake of her sons’ lives. When the new deputy in town shows an interest in her, Hank is determined to prove his mother doesn’t need another man around the house.

The second novel in the series is ECHOING SILENCE. This story takes place in July 1925. The theme has to do with putting action to beliefs and taking a stand that reflects those beliefs, regardless of the opposition. Hank is determined to get to the bottom of the trouble a local bully is causing his family and friends. When he discovers a connection with the bully and a new chapter of the Ku Klux Klan in a neighboring community, Hank and his friends face off against the Klan in order to protect the targets of their wrath. A new mystery presents itself when a giant creature shows up, wreaking havoc and creating fear on all sides of the local conflict. Hank learns how his actions and those of others have a ripple affect that brings far-reaching change, intended or not.

The third novel is BECKONING SHADOWS. This story takes place in August 1925 and involves the mystery behind the local livestock killings. When Daniel’s cousin shows up with information that puts a new friend in danger from the panic of the farmers losing livestock, Hank and his friends decide to get active in proving his innocence. In the meantime, other possibilities to the nighttime killings present themselves, raising the stakes for finding the killer. The theme of this book has to do with the danger of acting before getting all the facts in a situation.

You cater to the “reluctant reader”. What element do your stories contain that holds that reluctant reader’s attention?

I use a variety of strategies that worked for me as a reluctant reader before I became an avid reader as an adult. By using a connection method with the characters and familiar issues today, I create what reluctant readers are craving—something worth their time. I also use plots that are unpredictable and intriguing to kids today. As a result, I have stories that both the reluctant and avid reader will enjoy.

The technical strategy I use is attention-getting openings and fast-paced action that begins with the first sentence of the first chapter. I strive to not bog the reading down with description that takes away from the story; but I include enough to help develop comprehension skills, curiosity, and cognitive maturation without the reluctant reader being aware of it. Basically, I took those elements I needed to become an avid reader and incorporate them into my writing. Another strategy I use is taking the viewpoint from the male main character. While reluctant readers can be boys or girls, boys are more likely to be reluctant readers than girls are by nature. Therefore, I chose to have my books cater to the boys. However, girls are not left out because Beth Ann is a prominent character in every story. She’s part of the investigative team Hank puts together. By targeting boys as well as reluctant readers, I offer a product this audience can enjoy that is not readily available in the market to a large extent.

Here’s how I use the strategies I’ve mentioned:

In my experiences as an educator, I have learned that reluctant readers need a connection that draws them into a story to hold their interest. Even though my books are historical fiction and set in 1925, the thing I focus on is the plot and how it can connect with my readers first. The fact that the action takes place in 1925 becomes secondary to them. In addition, I connect with reluctant readers creating plots that have layers of conflicts that add depth to the mysteries and characters. This holds attention because there are questions that need answers, which they will look for as they read. However, I make sure to keep the suspense high with the plot staying unpredictable; therefore, the readers are less likely to put the book down too soon. These layers also help make the characters believable, with problems and situations not so different from the readers’ own or those of their friends.

The main character is Hank. His father has gone to war—connecting with military kids. His father is missing-in-action and later discovered to be dead—connecting with kids who have family and/or friends in Iraq or Afghanistan who have been injured or killed. Since Hank is moving through the grieving process, his experiences are what the reader is experiencing or seeing in their friends—connection. The setting is South Arkansas during a major oil discovery and boom—connecting with current oil prices and the political issue of domestic oil as opposed to foreign oil dependency. The mysteries include things kids find quite fascinating, but in a healthier venue than some mediums on television and video games—connecting to interests in skeletons, in dealing with bullies and gangs, in an impending threat from the unknown with the livestock killings. As the kids read through the stories, they forget Hank doesn’t have television or radio. They forget the fact that it’s 1925 instead of 2009. They learn to use the movie in their minds to satisfy their need for visual entertainment as they (hopefully) lose themselves in
the story as an active character in the story they are reading.

I also use fast-paced action that begins right away. Every book jumps right into the main conflict and attention-getting action without having to read through a few sentences, paragraphs, pages, or chapters before it gets really good. I end each chapter with questions in the reader’s mind that need to be answered by turning the page.

Each of these strategies has worked to get reluctant readers reading and thinking about what they’ve read, according to kids who have read my books and their parents and teachers.

What age group do you target? Any particular reason why writing to this age group appeals to you?

Currently, I’m targeting the middle grade reader, ages 8-12 years. This is the age group that is left with very little available in the classroom, in the library, or on the bookstore shelves—boys in particular. There is a lot that caters to girls, but very little for boys. I also chose this age group because this is the age when reading is either enjoyed or hated, with no middle ground to speak of. I want to offer this age group a reason to enjoy reading. When I began writing my books, my grandson was in this group—a reluctant reader within the ages I target. I was actually writing to him. As I shared my first chapters with the middle school students in my classes, I realized my grandson wasn’t the only one at-risk for setting reading aside for less healthy forms of entertainment that hinders creativity and cognitive development. I realized I had the ability to make a difference with this age group and embraced the challenge.

To be continued....

Thanks for reading my blog.

0 Comments:

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs