Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Pitching, Promoting, and Proposals

I have just finished a wonderful course by Terry Burns, offered through the online course opportunity that ACFW provides. Even though I was unable to keep up with every lesson and participate, I have all of the lessons saved for future reference. I did read each and every email. It’s just that by the time I caught up with some of the posts, the class had moved on to a different subject, so I didn’t always respond.

Terry does a superb job of teaching his students how to “pitch and promote”. I had the opportunity to take his class at CCWC and again through the online course. This time, he covered a wealth of material far beyond the scope of that workshop presentation. He removed a great deal of confusion and fear from the process required for the writer to be recognized by an agent or an editor. He discussed everything from the proposal cover letter to the “dreaded” synopsis and all that "scary" stuff that lies in between. It’s not an easy process, but nothing worth having ever is.

This talented writer of “inspirational fiction with a Western flair” and agent with Hartline Literary Agency illustrates the professionalism required to succeed in the writing and publishing world. Beneath that proficient persona lies the heart of a true Texas cowboy who is willing to reach out in any way he can to help others realize their writing aspirations.

If you were unable to take Terry’s course, I urge you to visit his web site (the link is located in my sidebar). Click on the “bookstore” link found at the top of the page. Find the picture of Terry in his white cowboy hat and order his ebook. It is based on the communications that occurred during our class and contains a treasure trove of helpful tips.

Oh, and by the way, if you want an enjoyable read, order a couple of his fiction books while you’re there!

Thanks, Terry, for all the time, talent, and effort you dedicated to the course and all of us inquisitive students. Can’t put a value on the volume and content of the information you shared.

Thanks for reading my blog!

6 Comments:

Terry Burns said...

Thank you Patty, that is very nice. One of my spiritual gifts is the gift of encouragement and that is why I love to work in a group such as this. Appreciate you whole bunches.

Unknown said...

That was an excellent course, wasn't it? I feel almost official as a writer after taking it. Next stop, publication! : )

Karin said...

It was a great course indeed!

Patty Wysong said...

It was a great class and it helped me in many areas! I really appreciated all the time Terry put into it, and also all the feedback from other writers. Super! If you didn't get to take it, you really don't want to miss his ebook on it!

Donn Taylor said...

Terry is a fine teacher and a great agent. All Patty's comments are well taken--and then some!

B.K. Jackson said...

I very much enjoyed the course too. Matter of fact I am preparing to review all the notes again tomorrow before I venture out into that whole competitive/market analysis stuff. I will like the fic proposal best when it's done and out of my hair. 8-)

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs