Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Monday, October 5, 2009

Interview with author Darlene Franklin


Darlene, welcome to Patti’s Porch. It is a pure pleasure to have you here. You are in a position where many of us would like to be, that if a multi-published author. Give us a bird’s eye view of your latest releases.

Pat, I can’t quite believe I’m a multi-published author. When I went to the ACFW conference two years ago, I only had 1 book in print. Now I have six, with six more to come. God is good!

In addition to Beacon of Love, I’ve had two other books come out this year. A String of Murders is the second book in my cozy mystery series, Dressed for Death. My heroine lives in a small Oklahoma town and operates a vintage clothing store. In A String of Murders blackmail threats lead to murder. The book is available through Barbourbooks.com .

Lucy Ames, Sharpshooter is my contribution to the Wild West Christmas anthology, which I wrote with Kathleen Y’Barbo, Lena Nelson Dooley and Vickie McDonough. Four sisters each have a different cowgirl skill. Lucy is, of course, good with a rifle, and becomes a star act in a Wild West show.

I just finished reading Beacon of Love and thoroughly enjoyed it. Your depiction of the hurricane that struck Capernaum Island brought back memories for me, since I grew up on the east coast. Have you ever witnessed a hurricane firsthand?

I believe a hurricane hit New England when I was a little girl, but I have no memories of it. People who’ve survived hurricanes shared generously of their memories, feelings, and experiences, to give my story its authenticity.

One of the characters in this book is forced to face his greatest fear. Tell us about the fears you faced when you were a beginning writer. How did you overcome them?

My biggest fear, I suppose, was, am I meant to write? And connected with that, am I any good?

Marlene Bagnull told me early on that I had something more important than skill: I had passion and a message to share. I decided that I didn’t have to know whether I should write for the rest of my life; all that mattered was if I was sure I should be writing this project at this time. And the answer was (and has continued to be) yes.

Sometimes people tell me I’m a gifted writer. I don’t know about that. I’m a writer who persisted for 15 years before I had a book published.

What do you like most about writing?

Having written? I love story telling. I love the creative process. I love looking at something I’ve polished and realizing “that’s good.”

What do you like least?

The struggle to stay focused and productive.

How big a part have critique groups played in your writing journey?

Oh, wow, I wouldn’t be anywhere without critique groups. I’m fortunate to have you as a critique partner now, Pat.

I learned how to write in the crucible of a face-to-face critique group. ACFW didn’t exist back then or so many of the tools available to writers now. We learned how to write by figuring what worked or didn’t work in each other’s stories. I missed the group fiercely when we disbanded after the founder died.

Now I’m a part of two online groups. One is specifically for (multi-)published authors and helps me with aspects of writer peculiar to our needs. Our 19th century group, Pat, helps me with historical aspects I may get wrong, as well as shaping our stories.

With critique partners, you invest in each other. You believe in each other, you support each other, you give each other the in-depth help we all need. Everyone needs a critique group.

What kind of music do you like? Do you listen to music while writing?

I don’t listen to music while I’m writing. I don’t listen to music much at all, which is strange, because I am a musician. I love Broadway musicals and those are the DVDs I tend to buy: Rent, Hairspray, Phantom of the Opera, Fiddler on the Roof.

Darlene, it has been a delight to have you here today. I wish you much success with your future writing endeavors.

Below is my review of Darlene’s book, Beacon of Love.

Judith Morrison’s heart stirs with strange emotions when Sam Hathaway returns to Capernaum Island. Feelings of insecurity plague her spirit in the face of her poor culinary skills. Her lack of talent in the kitchen can be remedied with adequate instruction and guidance, but her father, the lighthouse keeper, won’t tolerate his daughter’s association with a coward who fears the water.

Dr. Sam Hathaway returns to Capernaum Island in response to God’s call to provide medical
services to the residents of his home. Ghosts of the past haunt him as he faces memories of his father’s death at sea. Sam is attracted to Judith, but wonders if her heart already belongs to another man, one who meets her father’s approval.

A fierce hurricane threatens the island, but Judith’s dedicated father refuses to leave the lighthouse, and Judith will not leave him. Sam is forced to confront his deepest fear to protect the woman he loves, earning the respect of her father as well.

Franklin has crafted a warm love story in Beacon of Love, presenting characters who resonate with courage against their own weaknesses and the daunting forces of nature. Her portrayal of the hurricane that attacks Capernaum Island absorbs the reader with scene after scene of page-turning action.

3 Comments:

Darlene Franklin said...

Thanks for having me today!

Susan Page Davis said...

I loved this story, though it brought back some BAD hurricane memories. The characters are well drawn and likable. Now I can't wait to read Wild West Christmas.

Tanya Hanson said...

hi Darlene, so much fun to read about you and all your books! You go, girl. How do you get so much done?

My TBR list has just gotten a lot longer. I always love Christmas stories and anything Wild West.

Blessings to you, my friend. oxoxoxox,

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs