Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday Surprise

This morning, for the first time in a while, my granddaughter came to church with me. Our nursery is for first grade and under, and since she is a second grader this year, it means she has to stay with me during the service. I wondered if she would show signs of boredom during the sermon. We do have “activity bags” for the kids that contain pads of paper, crayons, books, and the like.

Today, our pastor spoke about our country’s Christian heritage and our need for prayer during these troubled times. My granddaughter was giving all of her attention to a pad of paper and a pen. When she showed me what she had written, I had a response all prepared for her “grandma, I really want to go home now” message.

Instead, what I found on that pad of paper, written in the neatest printing she could muster, was, word for word, the Pledge of Allegiance. It showed me that even though she might not understand every word of our pastor’s sermon, she did grasp the concept of the general message and how special our country is.

Do we realize how much we influence our children with all of the things we do and say in our daily lives? Even when they don’t’ seem to be paying attention, their little ears are perked up and their inquisitive brains are working every minute. If we as parents and grandparents encourage those little ones to turn to God and pray for our nation, the United States will stand strong for decades to come.

Thanks for reading my blog.

0 Comments:

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs