Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day

Today is a special holiday that should mean something to every American, the day we honor those who have served in the armed forces. I have been fortunate over the years in that “war”, per se, has never touched my life in a deeply personal way.

Yes, I watch the newscasts. My heart breaks every time I hear of another fallen soldier. I think about and pray for the families of those soldiers.

My dad served in the army during World War II and my husband served in the Air Force during the Viet Nam War. Still, their service took place long before I became a part of the lives of either of them.

My sister joined the Air Force after high school. She met her husband during her service, and both she and my brother-in-law went on to retire from the armed forces after 20 years. They faced the possibility of deployment during Desert Storm, but were never called. I never had to lie awake nights wondering if my loved ones would be killed in action any day.

Our son filled out his selective service forms when he turned 18, but he and his sister are successful in careers far removed from the military. So, as a parent, I have never had to face the gut-wrenching fear of knowing my child is living in a tent somewhere on the other side of the world surrounded by people who’s main goal is to kill him.

I have a niece and a good friend of my kids who are both in the military at present and have served or are serving in hostile areas of the world. My heart goes out to them and to their families as they wait for their loved ones to return home safely. I pray for strength that the members of our armed forces are guided by competent leaders who seek the wisdom of a powerful God to direct them in the decisions that need to be made against a vengeful enemy.

How many more Veterans’ Days will pass before our country and the world are free of war? Matthew 24:6 tells us that “You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come.”

I don’t know that the world will ever be free of war, but I do know that we as citizens of this great country have an obligation to thank our brave men and women who have fought and now fight for the freedoms we enjoy.

God bless America!

Thanks for reading my blog.

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

Pat,

Great words! Let us all be in prayer that God will intervene in the affairs of man!

Derek

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs