Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Haiti Horror

It was a fairly warm day here on the porch, especially for January. The temps were close to 60 degrees, while on the other side of the state, the news says a blinding snowstorm with blizzard conditions is raging.


As I sat in the comfort of my living room this morning reading the daily newspaper, I thought about those people thousands of miles away who are struggling to survive the aftermath of the devastation that struck Haiti a few days ago. I cannot begin to imagine the trauma, the heartbreak, and the devastation these people are facing.


In 1977, a fierce wind descended on our town. The 100 mile per hour winds sent debris flying through the air, left six foot snowdrifts in the pastures, and destroyed my home, a 14X78 mobile home. Still, I had a friend’s home to go to where I was safe and was relocated in a comfortable rented room at the facility where I worked at the time within a couple of days. Sure, I lost some of my possessions, but my loss is infinitesimal compared to what these people are experiencing.


The survivors in Haiti are mourning the death of loved ones, living in squalor, starving, and in desperate need of medical attention with no knowledge of when the end will be in sight. I can’t get my head around the thought of such an existence. My heart breaks as I think of the people who are suffering excruciating pain because there is not enough medication, those who have had limbs amputated because of gangrene, the wave of disease that will occur as a result of contaminated water.


I would like to direct you to a blog that was published in our local paper today. It is written by a doctor who is in Haiti working with health4haiti. It will give you some idea of what those who have volunteered over there are facing. Please donate what you can to the people of Haiti through the venue of your choice and, most of all, pray for God’s presence and comfort in the earthquake torn city of Port of Prince.


Thanks for reading my blog.

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

wonderful perspective of our blessings as Americans. The suffering there grips my heart, too.

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs