Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I'm Praying For You - But Am I Really?


A couple of weeks ago, Patti's Porch was surrounded by beautiful white snow drifts. Today, after a few days of above freezing temperatures and sunshine, we are now engulfed in a sea of mud! Yuck!


Okay, on to today's subject.


How many times do those of us of the Christian faith say these words: "I'm praying for you" or "I"ll keep you in my prayers." Many times, I respond to a friend's email with a one word "Praying!" 

Yet, when I go to God in prayer, I often find myself drawing a blank as to who I promised to pray for. Sound familiar? I kind of hope so. I'd hate to think I'm the only one who does this!

Anyway, I have found a solution to the problem, if I can just follow through with it! When I receive an email from someone with a prayer need, I immediately access a spreadsheet file I have started. I log in that person's name and the need. I have the OCD tendency to make elaborate spreadsheets, but I'm trying to keep this simple. Sometimes a first name and a word or two about the problem, such as "Bob" "job interview" or "Janet" "back surgery" will suffice. 

If  I'm not near my computer, I always have my smart phone with me, where I have added a "prayer" memo. This allows me to have access to either prayer reminder several times a day. (Heaven knows I have the computer screen or the cell phone in front of me a dozen times a day at least!).

Not only do these tools remind me who I've promised to pray for. They also allow a means to keep track of answered prayers. I bet after a year, I'll be amazed at how many of them are, sometimes in totally unexpected ways!


This is one of many new habits I hope to develop in 2012.

Thanks for reading my blog!

1 Comment:

BK said...

I really struggle with the demand for prayer. In fact, I have to honestly say that last year I got so bogged down trying to keep up with a long list of prayers that by year's end, my prayers had become pathetic and puny. That's not the only reason my prayer life suffered but it was a contributing factor.

Who doesn't want to lift up the many needs around us in prayer? But then there are those nasty things like job, errands, etc, that demand our time. Oh if we could just hole up and pray all the time!

I don't know what the answer is. I feel I need time to look up relevant scripture but haven't set myself down to do it.

When I'm talking to people though, and I know it's likely I'm going to forget the prayer request, I very specifically say "I'll say 'a' prayer for you," commiting to only one, because I don't want to say I'll pray then not do it.

There are so many needs to be lifted up.

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs