Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Monday, January 23, 2012

Is God An Imaginary Friend?

A new billboard will soon be visible on the Interstate in Colorado Springs. It's message is this: "God is an imaginary friend. Choose reality: It will be better for all of us." The message with spark ire in some, fear in others, and indifference in many. Most folks probably won't even notice it as they zoom past it during the four weeks that it will be in place.


One of the members of the Boulder Atheists group that has paid for the sign hopes it will serve as a conversation starter, rather than being seen as controversial. I'm not surprised that such a message would appear on the highways of America. We do have the right to exercise free speech, but that's not the reason I am not shocked by this news. I heard a year ago that there is a message on buses in London that says “There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.”

Our pastor has been preaching on truth these past couple of weeks and talking about Andy Anrews book entitled How Do You Kill 11 Million People?: The answer to that question is that you tell them lies, and you tell them with such skill that people mistake them for the truth. 

The great deceiver tells lies and he constantly recruits people who will listen to those lies and spread them to others. I don't believe the people who are erecting these billboards, one in Colorado Springs and two in Denver, are deceitful people. I believe they are people who have been deceived into believing a lie. I don't resent them, I don't hate them, and I don't fear them. 

I simply hope that their goal will be accomplished in that their message will generate conversation. I pray that through that conversation, people's curiosity will be piqued enough to motivate them to seek the truth.  

It is up to those of us who are members of the Christian community to meet the challenge and be sure they find it.

Thanks for reading my blog!


0 Comments:

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs