Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Monday, May 19, 2008

Home Again

There has been quite a change in the weather since you last visited. It’s already sixty degrees here this morning with the nineties predicted! That’s pretty warm for May. So, put on a pair of shorts and come on over for a visit.

Before I forget, let me direct you (after you read this post) to www.bkjackson.blogspot.com. My writing friend and fellow western lover, Brenda, interviewed me on her blog! Imagine someone wanting to interview me! I was quite honored. Go on over and see what I had to say in answer to her questions.

I have so much to tell you about my writer’s conference in Estes Park! I love to attend the CCWC (Colorado Christian Writer’s Conference) for a variety of reasons. Located in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, God’s handiwork surrounds you with a stark majesty that can’t be ignored. This year, even though we woke up to snow on Thursday morning, it warmed up before we headed to breakfast and stayed in the 70’s and 80’s for the rest of our stay. The sun shining on those snow-covered peaks is a sight to behold.

Marlene, the conference director, puts her heart and soul into this event. She provides an atmosphere of learning, encouragement, and spiritual refreshment for accomplished and aspiring writers of both fiction and non-fiction who want to get the gospel message out. Her line up of authors, agents, and editors is outstanding. I am always amazed that these people so willingly take time out from their busy lives to teach, motivate, and guide new writers along the journey to publication. Dynamic speakers at the morning worship and evening general sessions provide inspirational messages that challenge us as authors to strive for excellence in our work, sharpen our writing skills, and fulfill our mission.

It’s always wonderful to see friends from previous years and make new ones. Some people are those with whom I’ve established an email contact over the past few months, and meeting face to face for the first time is fun. There is pure joy in being surrounded by dozens of people who understand your love of your characters, share your excitement about your story idea, and pray for you to reach that goal of publication.

I was so fortunate this year to be accepted into Jim and Tracie Peterson’s unpublished fiction clinic. Jim was the first person I had a one on one appointment with at the first CCWC clinic I attended in 2003. I was a bundle of nerves, but Jim put me at ease right away. I’ll never forget (even though others have done the same since) that Jim took my hand at the end of our meeting and prayed for my writing. He and Tracie are so knowledgeable in the craft of writing and the information they share is invaluable. Tracie is the author of some 90 books ( and how long have I been working on one?) and Jim is an expert in the field of research. Then, there is their daughter Jennifer who is well on the way to making a name for herself in the publishing world. She already edits for some of the major publishing houses. The five sessions we spent with the three of them provided a writer’s gold mine of tips.

Another workshop I attended was entitled “No Pat Answers, Please!” It was very powerful and addressed the standard answers that Christians give to hurting people. Things like “it was God’s will” or “she/he’s in a better place”. “you can always have another child”. Lissa Halls Johnson and Mick Silva are two incredible teachers who have a heart for bringing healing to hurting people.

One evening, I sat in on a round table discussion about what young people are looking for in Christian fiction. There were three sophomores there, fine young adults who shared openly and honestly what they are hungering for. They challenged us as writers to deal realistically with the hard issues our young people are facing today. Our teens are in trouble, and if we don’t give them some truthful answers about life’s struggles and how to deal with them, they will be forever lost.

Despite the wonderful time I had at the conference, it’s great to be home! I miss my husband when I’m away, my daughter, my granddaughter, our two dogs and our cat, my small town, the folks in the corner convenience store, the cattle grazing in the field next to our house, my own bed. Speaking of bed…..

It’s late for me. I worked last night (11 PM to 7 AM) and had every intention of going to bed the minute I hit the front door. Then I connected with my son on messenger and we’ve been having a great discussion about the conference and about writing while I prepared this blog entry. I averaged about four hours of sleep a night while at the conference, so staying awake at work last night was tough. Guess I better go on to bed. But first....

Upcoming attraction: I’m reading “Promises, Promises”, my web designer, Tiffany Stockton’s first book. As soon as I finish it, I’ll post a review. Post a comment on my blog or get in touch through my web site contact page and you become a contestant for a free copy of the book. It’s a Heartsong Presents romance, so if I have any guy readers, this may not be your thing. Still, if you win, I’m sure a lady friend, a sister, a mom, maybe a coworker would enjoy it! Just be sure and leave me contact information so I can get in touch to let you know you won! It’s frustrating to have a contest winner and no way to contact them.

Ok, now I'm off to get some sleep. Feel free to stay and finish your coffee. Oh, man, I forgot to bring out the donuts! Here ya go! Enjoy!

1 Comment:

JJ said...

Sounds like it was a great conference! It was great talking with you. Love you mom and best of luck with the writing. :)

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs