Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Monday, September 6, 2010

How Did You Spend Your Labor Day?


When I asked my husband if he knew the year the first Labor Day was celebrated, he sort of grunted a disinterested response. I proceeded to inform him that it was celebrated on September 5, 1882 in New York City. He chuckled and responded, "oh, of course, I remember that! I was standing in Times Square watching the parade!" My husband does have a sense of humor.

Seriously, Labor Day is meant to be a tribute to the social and economic achievements of the working man. It's interesting, in view of that, to see how many people are working on this holiday. Federal institutions, like banks, credit unions, etc. are all closed. Grocery stores and convenience stores are dong business as usual, and I even ran across the Pepsi delivery man as I went on the hunt for my caffeine free diet pepsi, which is becoming harder to find in this town. Unfortunately, he is not authorized to sell it to me off the truck!

Today was part holiday, part work day for me. I slept late, then after a run to the grocery store, and a nice visit with mom on the phone, settled down to do some writing. I labored over a post I had been wanting to prepare for my other blog on this website (kids getting published) and finally got that completed to my satisfaction. I still have work ahead as I plan to respond to some emails that have needed attention for a while now. I guess you could call that part work, part enjoyment.

I set aside three hours (this has become a daily ritual!) to relax and enjoy the Rockies game with my husband. This one had me on the edge of my seat for several innings. Rocks were on the losing end when Cincinnati scored 4 runs in the first two innings. We pulled ahead at 5-4 in the next inning, but that wasn't enough insurance to feel assured of a Rockies win. Things got shaky when pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez seemed off his game after a great first and second inning and struggled through the next few. However, his efforts and the support of some great hits brought the Rockies to a 10-5 win. Sure hope they make the play-offs!

Now it's time to start fixing dinner and the evening will creep into night time before I know it. No matter how you spent your Labor Day, I urge you to take a few minutes (even if its the day after) and contemplate on the common working man and all they contribute to our daily way of life. Fireman or janitor, nurse or bus driver, every person's job is important. If you are one of those working men (or women), remember to always give your best to your job. Take a moment to give thanks to all those who worked so hard to ensure fair labor practices for all.

Thanks for reading my blog!

0 Comments:

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs