Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Introducing Starsongs magazine


We writers often refer to our work as our "baby". We nurture our efforts like a newborn, beam with pride as we watch our story grow, defend it against attack when it is criticized, and constantly seek advice about the health of our manuscript.

Today, my baby entered the world for the first time. No, it's not a novel, a poem published on a web site, or even an article that made it into the local newspaper. Few of the words written on its pages are mine. It is the first issue of Starsongs magazine and I am its editor.

These past few months have been filled with a great excitement, a little frustration, and a whole lot of challenge. The opportunity to meet, motivate, and mentor young people has proved truly a valuable experience for me. The work my contributors created, the patience they demonstrated with rewrites and critiques, and the gratitude for the simplest words of encouragement provide more than enough reward. I am grateful to the parents who supported their children with their writing efforts, who wrote words of encouragement to me, and who have been most patient during the process of putting the magazine together.


There are so many others who deserve my thanks. Kristine, the CEO of Written World Communications (WWC), gave me her vote of confidence when she offered me a position in her company. Dale and Chris patiently answered my questions, sometimes more than once.

My room-mate and coworker within WWC, Ro, who I met for the first time at the Greater Philadelphia Christian Writers Conference (GPCWC) embraced me as a friend the moment I met her. So many others at GPCWC, whether conferees or faculty members, offered words of encouragement.

Marlene, GPCWC and Colorado Christian Writers Conference Director, has always been a source of motivation and guidance to me. There is Corinne, our talented and creative layout editor, who used phtoographs and design expertise to add character and depth to the words on the pages. Her talent amazes me.

I am blessed to have all these wonderful people in my life, and that miracle, of course, I attribute to God, who knew all along what path he was leading me down. Even when I resisted, He patiently waited and quietly nudged.

Now that Starsongs is out there on the Internet and available for purchase, I know this is only the beginning of the journey. Next comes the job of marketing it, promoting it, and looking toward putting together the next issue.

I don't expect many adults to be interested, but if you have kids, grandkids, nieces or nephews, or know kids in the 9-19 age range, I urge you to point them to this first issue of Starsongs. I hope all the young people who explore it will find something interesting, entertaining, or educational. Most of all, I hope it encourages young writers to test their own creative ability.

Go to MagCloud and check out my new "baby". Follow its progress and watch it grow. If you would, tell as many young people about Starsongs as you can.

Thanks for reading my blog!

5 Comments:

BK said...

I love that cover! So clever and creative!

Patti Shene said...

Thanks, Brenda! Kristine had a photographer friend do that picture, I think.

Unknown said...

Congrats! I love the cover too. We just ordered a few copies -- can't wait to get them!

Patti Shene said...

Great, Mary Kate. I just checked out your blog and see where you announced Starsongs there! Thank you!

I can't wait to get my copy. I've read every word in it a dozen times via email, but it's not the same as holding a copy in my hands!

Unknown said...

Absolutely! Thank you for publishing me.

I agree -- the hard copy will make it feel more complete. Congrats again!
Mary Kate

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs