Home | About Patti | Contact Patti | Starsongs Magazine | The Over 50 Writer

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Interview with Author Darlene Franklin




Darlene and I began our friendship when we met at the Colorado Christian Writers Conference some years ago. Since then, I have followed Darlene’s writing career with admiration. I was part of a critique group with her and had the pleasure of critiquing The Prodigal Patriot before it was put into print.

Darlene, a mere eleven months has passed since you were a guest on my porch. To refresh your memory, we chatted on October 5th. Tell us what has been happening for you during that period of time.

Pat, I treasure your friendship. It’s a pleasure to meet with you again. A lot has happened since last we visited on your porch. I have settled in Oklahoma City as my new home. For several months I felt very adrift and without friends. Now I have a group of friends, both at church and within the writing community. Praise the Lord! My mother died. I bought a house. My daughter-in-law is expecting another grandchild—this time a boy, after three precious girls. And my writing career has taken off. Praise the Lord!

Tell us about your Heartsong release, The Prodigal Patriot. What prompted you to write about the Revolutionary War era?

I was looking for good Vermont stories to suggest to Heartsong and ran across a website that had a lot of great folk tales. One of them gave an account of Ann Storey, who hid in a cave and farmed her land in spite of Torey opposition. That gave me the inspiration for my heroine, Sally Reid.

You made a move from Colorado to Oklahoma some months ago. A move like that can totally disrupt a person’s routine. How have you managed to continue to be so productive in the midst of probable chaos?

To be honest, I live with the chaos. I’m a terrible housekeeper. I have been in my house for 3 months now. And after I unpacked enough to live with, I stopped unpacking. The only room that is “finished” is the living room. The kitchen and my bedroom are almost there. My mind and work are organized; my surroundings aren’t.

If you were asked to teach an online course or conference workshop about any subject related to writing, what would that subject be and why?

I have taught several workshops, but one that I am passionate about is Empowering your Writing through your Spiritual Gifts. One of the most interesting workshops I led was a time we considered one subject—homelessness—and how many angles on that subject we could find by examining spiritual gifts. I know my gifts of encouragement, teaching, and missions come through in a lot of my books.

Ah, Darlene, you touched on a subject that fascinates me, spiritual gifts. I have known you to be a great encourager through our critique group, but you commented to me recently that you don’t always feel like an encourager. Can you explain?

I feel like I’m (often) a complainer. Yet people tell me I’m a good listener, a good friend—an encourager. People I hardly remember greet me as a long last friend, indicating I had some positive impact on their lives in the past. Shame on me for not remembering and you definitely don’t fall in that category, Pat!

I think that’s the way spiritual gifts often work. That’s the supernatural aspect of it! God uses me to encourage others when of myself I might not. My experience with spiritual gifts falls into two categories: (1) I don’t see it as a gift because “well, everybody does it.” (but they don’t, at least not naturally, any more than I’m the one to set a room to rights after a meal). And (2) I know I have a gift because I have seen God take my humble offerings and multiply them with heaven-sent power. I first experienced that when I played piano for a church revival. When people tell me I’ve encouraged them, the same thing has happened.

My spiritual gifts also impact my fiction (which is my primary writing ministry. I've been told I weave scripture into stories in a very natural way--that it doesn't sound preachy--and I think that's an outgrowth of the gift of encouragement. Or a lot of my characters have some aspect of missions and evangelism, my secondary gift cluster.

If you write fiction, your spiritual gifts still make a difference!

Your web site indicates you have worked in the field of children’s ministry and missions. Can you give us an overview of those experiences?

I’ve taught children, from preschool through sixth grade, off and on since I was fifteen. At present, I’m not teaching kids, but I expect that time will come again. Lately I’m having a little more interaction with middle schoolers and wonder if that’s where God will put me next. I have written children’s curriculum for David C. Cook and Lifeway.

I’ve spent two summers involved in missions, have been involved with several start-up churches, and was involved with a mission to the Salt Lake City Olympics with my daughter. That was truly special.

Do you believe your spiritual gifts have changed since you started writing?

No. But I have seen them grow in unexpected ways. That gift of encouragement has me writing
devotionals, for instance, or the gift of teaching translated into writing curriculum.

Just for fun: What is your favorite food and when was the last time you had an opportunity to enjoy it?

I love a good steak, and went to Outback Steakhouse for my birthday last month.

Thank you so much, Darlene, for coming back to the porch for a visit. May God continue to bless you with the realization of your writing goals.

Below, find my review of The Prodigal Patriot.

The Pr
odigal Patriot depicts a time of turmoil, uncertainty, and war. Sometimes, even family members held opposing views about whether the colonies should stay loyal to the king or fight for their independence.

Darlene Franklin tells a gripping tale of one family who showed the courage to work for what they believed in against all odds. The Reids face danger and risk discovery as they strive to hold on to their land. Hiding in a cave nearby, they tend to their fields under cover of darkness.

Josiah Tuttle, despite his brother’s death at the hands of the enemy, offers his help to the Reid family. Not only does he believe in the Patriot cause, he also loves Sally Reid. Yet, to help the Reid family deems him disrespectful to his father.

Sally meets Josiah’s offer of assistance with suspicion and fear. Is he acting as a spy for the cause his father so staunchly believes in? Trust and love build as she is faced with situations that require Josiah’s assistance and support.

This story brings characters from the Revolutionary War period to life, portrays their struggles and their courage, and culminates in a conclusion that portrays the power of faith and forgiveness.

Again, Darlene Franklin takes her readers to another place and time with a story that entertains, teaches, and satisfies.

Leave a comment to receive a copy of Darlene's book, The Prodigal Patriot. Contest ends Sunday Sept 19th, winner will be announced via email Monday Sept 20th.

Thanks for reading my blog!

12 Comments:

Darlene Franklin said...

Pat, looking at this, I wanted to add another thought. My spiritual gifts also impact my fiction (which is my primary writing ministry. I've been told I weave scripture into stories in a very natural way--that it doesn't sound preachy--and I think that's an outgrowth of the gift of encouragement. Or a lot of my characters have some aspect of missions and evangelism, my secondary gift cluster.

Anyhow - just to say - if you write fiction, your spiritual gifts still make a difference!

Kameko said...

Pat, I enjoyed your review of "The Prodigal Patriot." I had the pleasure of meeting Darlene and I certainly see a spiritual gift in her as an "encourager." Her God-given talent as a writer hooked me when reading my first book by Darlene & she is now a favorite author of mine.

Blessings to both of you, Darlene & Pat!

Beverly
bgrider2@cox.net

P.S. - Darlene, congratulations on the birth of your newest grandchild!

Sandi Rog said...

How lovely to find Darlene here! "Hi, Darlene!" *waving* You know, I'd say, Darlene not only encourages through her writing, but she also encourages other writers! You can find some of her encouraging and helpful posts here: http://thebookdoctorbd.blogspot.com/. I'm excited about her desire to help other writers improve, and to offer her services as an editor.

I would LOVE to get my hands on Darlene's book, so please enter me!

sandirog at gamil dot com

BIG HUGS Darlene!

Sandi Rog said...

That was supposed to be gmail, not gamil.

Darlene Franklin said...

Hi, Beverly, Sandi! How lovely to chat with you here. Thank you for your kind words.

Patti Shene said...

Darlene, I edited the post and added those comments for future readers.

Sandi, you are entered in the contest!

Kameko, thanks for your comment as well!

Darlene Franklin said...

Thanks, Pat.

Jessica (^_^) said...

Wow! This is so great to be able to learn from published authors. This is great. God has blessed you with awesome gifts. I'd love to be entered into the contest too.

God Bless,

Jessica
historywiz@gmail.com

Katt Scribbles said...

I ate lunch with Darlene at conference last year. We were at Chip McGregor's table and I enjoyed talking to her. Darlene, I am so happy to see your writing taking a turn for the best. Best wishes to you and may you always be as busy as you want to be.

Kathy Cretsinger

Unknown said...

I have only had the pleasure of meeting Darlene virtually, via the CROWN fiction marketing group we both belong to. Would LOVE to receive a copy of The Prodigal Patriot. Historical fiction is my first love in reading, and within that genre the Revolution places second only to the Civil War era for me. I especially like being enlightened on little known tidbits of history such as this book brings out. Way to go Darlene! And my added congrats on the new grandbaby.

Anonymous said...

I've known Darlene more years than I can count, and she is more than a friend, she is family. She has been a tremendous blessing to me over the years and has encouraged me countless times, when my own writing was holding me hostage in discouragement. I have emails that she has sent me over the years that have blessed me beyond measure. She is truly one of my heros of the faith. I would love to have a copy of, "The Prodigal Patriot."

Joy to you Darlene, and thank you Patti for sharing her story.

GinniB

Patti Shene said...

Ginni, how nice to see you here!

 
Content Copyright Patti Shene
Site by Eagle Designs